IFSS
Zemu lidojoši suņi
Ikšķile
Zilie kalni
LKSSF
IFSS
Zemu lidojoši suņi
Ikšķile
Zilie kalni
LKSSF
Home / Venue / Tourism

Tourism / Venue

Nature Park "Zilie kalni" (Blue hills)

Includes in tourism, sports and recreation complex "Zilie kalni” and occupies 312ha large area. Landscaped swimming places around Dubkalni water reservoir, great hiking and biking trails in the summer, cross-country ski track 10km long in winter.
30m high wooden observation tower located in the territory of nature park, which offers a wonderful view of the Daugava. On a clear day from the tower you can see Riga, the capital city of Latvia.
In the territory of Ikskile and Ogre regions

Observation tower

Opened at the end of 2013, placed on the highest point of nature park "Zilie kalni". Height 30m and in the clear weather you can even see the capital city of Latvia - Riga.

Viewing platform

From the observation platform with wonderful views of the Dubkalni water reservoir. It located at Dubkalni water reservoirs steep.

Dubkalni water reservoir

Reservoir developed at the former gravel quarry place when active work stopped there. The average depth is 2.5m, maximum - 7.0m.
Around the reservoir there are created comfortable resting places, it is a popular swimming place among Ikskile inhabitants.

Kabeles hill (Livs burial)

Kabeles hill burial ground. Liv cultural boom was experienced in 10th -13th century. Around the banks of the Daugava river there were built settlements. Different cultural and archeological monuments are found from Aizkraukle up to the mouth of the river Daugava, but a large number of them were killed when the Riga Hydro power plant was built in 1970-ies. During the construction of the hydro power plant, under water went 13 cemeteries, one mound, 7 villages, medieval churches and two cemeteries. TIll the present day only two Liv barrow cemeteries have been preserved, one of them is Ikskile Kabeles hill. In this cemetery remained 81 Liv barrows, which is a significant cultural and historical heritage.
At the moment, thanks to the citizens' initiative and active participation, burial hill is well maintained and freed from bushes, to show this great cultural heritage.

Seawall of Riga hydropower plant

Riga HPP seawall was installed to protect adjoining areas from flooding and to ensure the optimum level of ground water. Seawalls in Ikskile (3.6 km) and Ogre (3,6 km) are great place for city residents and its guests to have a walking, or do fishing, and water sports.
Riga HPP is the newest hydroelectric power plant of the Daugava and the second largest power plant in Latvia. It was built from 1966 to 1974 and is located 35 km from the river mouth. The idea was to build several hydroelectric power stations on the river Daugava, and the Riga HPP building was planned in 1910, but the intention was disrupted by the World War First.
Riga HPP reservoir is the largest artificial water reservoir in Latvia - area is 42.3 km2, volume - 339 million. m3

Open - air stage of Ikskile

Open - air stage was built in 1980-ies. Building took place in a joint work kind and in them participated hundreds of Ikskile citizens, who involved with a heavy building technique, building materials and with the help of professional builders

The ruins of Ikskile church on St.Meinhard's island

Ikšķile is a city and a municipality in the South-West of Vidzeme, by the river Daugava, and can be counted as one of the oldest cities in Latvia. Ikšķile became the centre of the Livonian Bishopric.
Ikšķile is one of the oldest inhabited Latvian regions. This is also proved by the hill forts and ancient burial sites in the area. The bank of river Daugava housed a Livonian village starting from the 9-12th century. The name "Ikšķile" originated from the Livonia üks küla, which means "one village". In 1185 stonecutters from Gotland built the Livonian bishop's castle with a chapel - a church.
The Ikšķile church ruins - the oldest stone building ruins in Latvia, located on the small Saint Meinhard's Island, in the artificially created Rīgas HES reservoir. The church was built in 1185, by order of bishop Meinhard, rebuilt in 1879-1881, destroyed in 1916. After the creation of the Rīgas HES in the 1970s it was surrounded by water. Nowadays the ruins are preserved, with a roof built over them and the island secured. For preservation purposes, in 2002 the church received a metal roof, but preservation was also done in 1962-1963 and 1970-1975. In 2005 the church was included in the European Cultural Heritage list as one of Latvia's most preserved monuments.
Saint Meinhard's holy place is becoming more and more recognisable in Latvia due to both its cultural and religious significance. This island was the starting place of many youth days, when the Latvian youth carried a lit candle through all of Latvia - from the first church runs in Ikšķile to other Latvian cities. On the first Sunday after August 15 of every year, Saint Meinhard's Island holds the The Assumption of the Virgin Mary into Heaven celebration. The Island holds sermons, as well as baptismal and marriage ceremonies.
Nowadays, visits to the ruins are done by boat or ferry, but every summer Rīgas HES undergoes repairs, allowing visitors to reach the island on dry feet using the old road whose sides still hold the stumps of the old alley trees.

Ikskile lutheran church

In the early 1930s it was decided that instead of restoring the old church built in 1185 (and rebuilt in 1879) which was destroyed in World War 1 (1915) a new church would instead be built in the centre of Ikšķile, near the railroad. The land is then bought and architect Pauls Kundziņš wins the contest.

The church's cornerstone is placed in July 28, 1931. Construction costs 48 000 LVL. During this time the parish, consisting of 400 members, holds the service in the Tīnūži Manor hall.

In November 12, 1933 the consecration is attended by Archbishop Jānis Grīnbergs. The author of the altar piece Dod mums savu svētību, Jēzu! (Jesus, give us Your blessing!) (5.2m x 2.2 m) is the Ikšķile resident and Art Academy of Latvia professor Jānis Kuga.

In 1934 the church tower becomes home to a bell made in the workshops of Liepāja war port with the inscription "Ring for us in the mornings, ring in the Saturday evenings!”

In 1935 a plaque is placed north of the altar commemorating the 52 victims of World War 1 and the Latvian War of Independence - members of the Ikšķile parish.

In 1938 there are 1200 parish members.

After the church disruption in the mid-60s, the church building is used as the State Library book storage from 1968 to November 5, 1998. The altar piece and consecration tools were stored in Rundāle Palace.
Since 1994, the building has been included in the list of National importance architectural monuments.

In December 24, 1999 the parish returns to the church.
The church repairs and restoration begins in February of 2000. The Archbishop Jānis Vanags consecrates the altar in March 3.
In 2003 the exterior is completely restored.

Since the completion of the church it has been the workplace of 12 pastors. Another floor was built while the church was home to the book storage. The church has been able to adapt these rooms and they currently host exhibits and concerts. With the help of European funding, the church has acquired a wheelchair lift, allowing easier access to the church for people with movement disorders and severe illnesses.

Carmelite monastery

The Order of Carmelites originated in 13th century Palestine, on Mount Carmel, where the Order of the Brothers of the Blessed Virgin Mary was established. The order received the name Carmelites after their place of origin. The Carmelites arrived in Europe in 1238. The first monasteries outside of the Holy Land were built in Sicily, England and Southern France. The 16th century is the time of restoration and reform for the Order of Carmelites. The main goal of the reform was to return to their source - lives led by the hermits on the slopes of Mount Carmel. The first Discalded Carmelite monastery was founded by the Carmelite nun Teresa, now known as Teresa of Ávila. During a relatively short period Teresa of Ávila founded 17 monasteries in Spain. The Carmelite monastery reform took place not just in Spain but also Italy, France, and Belgium. Currently the Order of Discalced Carmelites is present in 81 countries, including Latvia.

The Discalded Carmelite sisters live in closure, asceticism and poverty, praying especially for the nation among which they live. They earn their livelihood working by hand, as well as baking Hostia. The sisters live day and night praying for the Church and the world. According to the Carmelite regulations, a community can have no more than 21 nuns, since every community lives as a family.

The main mission of the Discalded Carmelites is prayer. The sisters live isolated from the world. They spend 7 hours a day in prayer, work and use their lives to show the love of Christ and his coming. Sisters pray for all of Church, but especially for priests and servants of God.

Their whole day is arranged for prayer, uniting the soul to God and being in His presence. That is why the sisters spend their days and nights in silence, except for an hour after lunch and dinner, that is dedicated to everyday recreation, which is the time when the sisters get together to freely talk while making handicrafts.

The agenda dictates that 5:00-22:00 is time for prayers and work. Every sister has to work for the community.

The aspiring Discalded Carmelites have to be people of prayer that pursue love and distance from the world. They have to have a good sense of responsibility and be able to live in the close isolated nun community. One can join from age 18, but it's encouraged to have completed standard education and acquired a profession. A sister who has joined a community rarely ever leaves for another.

Cultural heritage centre "Tinuzi manor"

Cultural heritage center "Tinuzu Manor" - in located in the barn, built in the 20th century 30 -ies, and the main exhibition is dedicated to the Latvian Riflemen battles near of Little Jugla (Mazā Jugla) river in 1917.

Here you can see unpublished photos, weapons, uniforms and various items found at battle sites.