IKSKILE MUNICIPALITY – GREAT BEGINNING!
Ikskile Municipality is a small, but significant part in the colourful mosaic of Latvia. It is a dynamic and progressive municipality, becoming more attractive and convenient for living with each year.
The current territory of Ikskile Municipality has a long history. Thousands of years ago, a coast of the Baltic Sea was located nearby, and a residential area with fishermen and hunters’ settlements started to form there. People already resided in the vicinity of Ikskile Wine Hill in the 1st century B.C. Since the 9th century, a Liv village with the name “ÜKS KÜLA”, as well as other villages were located on the bank of the River Daugava. Ikskile as a settlement, has always been at the crossroads of the main European trade arteries, under the influence of various religions and cultures. Historical events of Latvia and Europe started in 1185, relating to the construction of the first brick church and castle and baptising of the Baltic people.
During the First World War, the name of Ikskile was closely related to the Latvian riflemen – protection of the Naves sala on the left bank of the Daugava in 1916 and a battle at Maza Jugla in 1917. Being located in the direct vicinity of the front line for a long time, Ikskile was almost fully destroyed.
In the 30s of the 20th century, the Lutheran and the Holy Spirit Orthodox Church of Ikškile, as well as the Cultural Association House was built. During this time, the last horse tram in Latvia operated from Ikskile to Baldone. The Soviet Times have left their footprint on urban planning and construction. After the flooding of Riga HPP Reservoir in the 70s of the 20th century, the palace ruins are being preserved on the created island named after the Holy Meinard. An Ikskile open-air stage was opened in 1981, which from 1987 served as a place for the people’s meetings organised by the Ikskile unit of LCF.
In 1992 Ikskile was granted city rights but in 1997 Ikskile of Ogre Region was combined with Tinuzi Parish, creating the City of Ikskile with a rural territory. In 2004 the council of the City of Ikskile, with a rural territory, adopted a decision to form Ikskile Municipality.
The gate to the heart of Latvia – Tinuzi Parish is located in the state’s and Baltics’ geographical centre. It is important due to the complex of the old manor on the banks of the Maza Jugla where the local government has placed the cultural heritage centre “Tinuzi Manor’, as well as the Tinuzi Preschool “Muizina” in the restored buildings.
Nowadays, the people of Ikskile Municipality still live and work in the beautiful area of Vidzeme on the banks of our beloved River Daugava. In 2019, 10 030 residents called Ikskile Municipality their home. They have inherited the strength and love of work from their ancestors, thus creating their municipality as a peaceful and safe environment.